Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Seeking joy in things other than food

Food is becoming so central to how we live, celebrate and pursue pleasure-

We "meet for lunch and dinner".

We discuss things over "coffee and cake"

We invite our friends over "for brunch"

We "send over a casserole" to comfort

We develop rituals over food (DH and I have tea rituals and desert rituals everyday )

Consider our  celebrations

From the chocolates at Valentines, to the Thanksgiving feast to the Christmas dinner

I think one of the primary reasons we are so much fatter now than we used is because we associate food and only food with pleasure

So here is a challenge for you

Can you think of 5 things you will do today that will give you pleasure that do not involve food

Here are my 5
  1. I will watch Dexter with DH
  2. I will re-read an old favorite - Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam  -
  3. I will play with R
  4. I will sit by the fireplace
  5. I will use perfume

1 comment: